Sunday 24 March 2013

Single parent families as a social issue

As I discussed in my previous blog I asked myself why is the diversity of family structure in the 21st century considered a social issue? I chose to explore this as a topic as I wanted to understand from a different perspective.

There are many different types of families in our generation of the 21st century. There were many different types and these were a range of structures that I researched. 


 - Nuclear Families
 - Single parent families
 - Childless families
 - Step families with other children.
 - Grandparents raising their children's children.
 - Same sex parents.
                                                                                                                       
                                                                                                               (Blessing, n.d)

Diversification of families in the 21st century differs now to what is commonly known in the westernized world as the nuclear family. "The nuclear family or elementary family is a term used to define a family group consisting of a pair of adults and their children" (Nuclear family, n.d). 


From this information I chose to narrow down my research to single parent families as a diverse family structure in the 21st century. I do not know what information I am going to learn about but I hope the information I research will help my personal pedagogy in my practice. 


Yarber & Sharp (p.vii, 2010) state that "at no time in our history have so many adults and children been members of single-parent families". This supports the change in diversity of families in the 21st century and how single-parent families are more commonly known in society. 


Fathers now head about 15 percent of all single-parent households, the overwhelming majority (85 percent) of single parents are mothers (Bianchi, 2011). This tells me that society is faced with more dominant single mother parents than fathers.

Yarber & Sharp (2010) explain that historical, demographic and economic trends that play a significant role in the changing family structure of single-parent families (p.1). I would like to explore more on how single parent families have a social effect in society and what they have to go through by going it alone, whether it is by choice or not. 


3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Danelle,
    Diversification of families in the 21st century is a broad topic and you need to narrow it down to a particular issue. You have defined diversity and this makes a good start. Now think about the issue and follow that thread. Also, as you research make sure you are using academic research based evidence. Neither of the above references meet that category.
    Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  3. Danelle, this topic is indeed a growing concern for the New Zealand Government, in relation to the management of public policy. The form and diversity of households in New Zealand is no longer the norm, or more commonly known nuclear households. I have found a great report by Statistics New Zealand concerning this issue http://www.stats.govt.nz/~/media/Statistics/browse-categories/people-and-communities/families/general-social-survey/report-of-the-review-of-official-family-statistics.pdf. The report states that “there have been significant changes in the demographic, social and economic
    fabric of New Zealand” (Statistics New Zealand, 2007, p. iii). These changes need to be identified in order to accurately inform public policy. This document addresses the issue of how can the Government adequately support New Zealand families when the form and diversity of households is largely unknown.

    I personally feel that, these days, it is not seen as necessary to get married, and I do not feel pressured to. I myself live in a defacto relationship; both of our children are our own. I come from a two parent family (married), with four older siblings. I am aware of the growing numbers of single parent households and how that may be a disadvantage towards their lifestyle and the choices they have. It will be interesting to read what you discover, especially around Government initiatives, for the trends of New Zealand families have certainly changed over the years. Also, what does this mean for early childhood education teachers, in regards to their role of actively supporting children, parents and whānau involved in their centres? I look forward to your following blogs.

    ReplyDelete